St. Mary’s Catholic Home
The story of St. Mary’s Home for the aged (now St. Mary’s Catholic Home) began in September of 1940 when Sister M. Gabriela Labno, Sister M. Edmunda Wlezien, Sister M. Virginia Kurek, each belonging to the community of the Little Servant Sisters of the Immaculate Conception, accepted the invitation of His Excellency, Most Rev. Bartholomew J. Eustace to come to the Diocese of Camden. The three Sisters began living in a small cottage on a farm belonging to Catholic Charities of the Diocese or Camden on Kresson Road in Delaware Twp., NJ. In 1941, the first aged came to live in cottages on the farm. These provided the comfortable home life everyone loved so well.
Nearly 10 years later, plans began to build a new structure that would complement this home-like atmosphere and provide more room for the aged to come and live. On a cool, fall day in early November of 1952, Bishop Eustace laid the cornerstone for St. Mary’s Home – a home for the homeless and the aged in Cherry Hill, NJ.
The care of the aged rests, as it always has at St. Mary’s Home, directly on the Sisters, the Little Servant Sisters of the Immaculate Conception. Their joviality, patience, their wholehearted love and devotion for their brothers and sisters in Christ reflects itself daily in the happy smiles of the residents.